Want to be a professional truck driver? Get your training and qualifications right here at Toi Ohomai (multiple site delivery) with this 19 week full-time truck driving course that gives you all the skills and knowledge you need to safely drive and operate trucks up to 44 tonnes.
To do this course you'll need to have held a full car licence for more than six months. If you tick that box, you can choose from two different strands depending on your current licence class:
- start with Class 2 and graduate with your Class 4 licence, or
- if you already hold Class 2 (full, for more than three or six months*), start with Class 4 and graduate with your Class 5 licence.
While you're learning to drive the big rigs, you also gain the skills and knowledge to drive forklifts, handle dangerous goods, do daily truck pre-checks, fill out logbook and load manifests, position trucks for loading, load vehicles, secure a basic load, operate truck curtains, and meet legal requirements for load weights, driving hours, and road user charges.
On-the-job work experience is a key feature of this course so by the time you graduate, you'll have a good understanding of how the industry works and be ready to meet the massive shortfall in qualified heavy transport drivers.
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology offers a full size training yard plus a range of multi-tonne equipment for you to practice on, with industry-based trainers.
* length of time required to have your full Class 2 licence is dependent of whether you are over or under 25 years of age.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator) (Level 3)
During the course you will also gain:
- Class 2 full truck licence
- Class 4 full truck licence
- Class 5 full truck licence
- DG (dangerous goods) endorsement
- F (forklift) endorsement
- Work Safe Operators Forklift Certificate
|Locations||Rotorua, Tauranga, Tokoroa|
|Next intake||Oct 2018 View more details|
19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$4,850 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- fuel driver
- log driver
- logging truck driver
- truck and trailer driver
- ground spreading
- civil works
- transport management
- transport operations
- bulk fuel or liquids
- employment in the dairy industry or primary industry
Topics you'll cover
- Introductory Skills
- Industry Skills
- Vehicle Technology
- Professional Operator Skills
- Specialist Driving Skills
You'll also get plenty of 'on-the-job' training, spending regular time (up to two days per week) working in the industry with commercial truck companies, gaining valuable experience driving and other associated tasks.
|Indicative Fees||$4,850 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees-free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time in 2018 you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s free fees initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- hold the appropriate Full New Zealand Drivers Licence for the mandatory NZTA period (3 or 6 months)
- NCEA Level 1 in English and Maths, or equivalent skill
Due to NZTA licencing requirements this course is not open to international students.
In addition to the course requirements, you will be required to undergo and pass a pre drive drug test, as part of Health and Safety and Industry requirement, and any further subsequent testing as deemed necessary to complete and successfully graduate from the course.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Logistics Training Centre||Monday, 15 October 2018|
|Rotorua||Waipā Campus||Monday, 18 February 2019|
|Tauranga||Logistics Training Centre||Monday, 24 June 2019|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||Monday, 21 October 2019|
A Feb 2019 intake is offered for most courses. Enquire now.
- 19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Specialist Driver) (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Senior Driver) (Level 5)