Further your expertise in the world of automotive engineering with our apprentice focussed courses, specialising in Plant and Equipment.
This specialised strand will allow you to become a fully qualified automotive engineer, ensuring New Zealand’s heavy machinery is safe and functional.
Throughout your study you’ll learn how to perform safe and effective service and repairs of heavy off-road machinery and earth moving equipment. All while continuing to work in your place of employment. This course does require a full-time apprenticeship with an employer, where you get plenty of hands-on workshop experience working on heavy machinery.
Toi Ohomai manages your apprenticeship and provides ongoing mentoring and support throughout your training. In your own time, you complete online assignments that get you to describe and demonstrate your practical learning. Our qualified tutors visit you regularly to assist with your learning and keep in touch with your employer.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Heavy Automotive Engineering with strand in Plant and Equipment
|Next intake||May 2021 View more details|
4 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Heavy automotive engineer
- Positions involving service and repair in a range of plant and equipment engineering workplaces
Topics you'll cover
- Plant and Equipment Safety Inspections and Vehicle Recovery
- Plant and Equipment Clutches and Transmission
- Plant and Equipment Drivelines and Final Drive Assemblies
- Plant and Equipment Hydraulic Systems
- Plant and Equipment Suspension, Chassis and Track Drive Undercarriage Systems
- Plant and Equipment Steering Systems
- Plant and Equipment Starting, Charging and Lighting Systems
- Plant and Equipment Brake Systems
- Plant and Equipment Attached Equipment
- Plant and Equipment Machine Electronic Control Systems and Electronic Safety Systems
- Plant and Equipment Onboard Network Systems, Telematics and Autonomous Machine Operation
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- Hold a Level 3 qualification in Automotive Engineering, or have evidence of equivalent skills and knowledge
- Be employed in a heavy automotive engineering workplace, which is operating at a commercially acceptable industry standard.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||29 Mar 2021|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||17 May 2021|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||12 Jul 2021|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||30 Aug 2021|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||18 Oct 2021|
- 4 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available