If you'd like to become a real estate salesperson in New Zealand you need to be qualified.
This course is delivered fully online and you can choose to study one topic at a time or all three at the same time.
You'll learn about the legal framework, marketing strategies, listing and selling, and you'll develop written and oral communication skills essential to success as a real estate professional in this field.
You must complete this qualification before you can be a licensed Real Estate professional.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Real Estate (Salesperson) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jan 2021 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Or 24 weeks part-time online
Part-time study available
Offered online or partly online
|Indicative Fees||$1,341 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Real estate salesperson
Topics you'll cover
This course is made up of three topics:
The Legislative Environment
Learn about standards of conduct and the duties of a salesperson, the rules of client and customer care, the complaints procedure, and legal concepts, controls, restrictions and implications of various Acts along with the principles of the law of agency and the law of contract.
Property Ownership, Inspections and Appraisals
Understanding the type of estates (land ownership), legal and equitable interests in land sites and structures along with the implications of these to real estate property. We will also identify different types of building structures including building materials and building types to assist in the completion of property inspections and appraisals.
The Real Estate Sales Process
Learn to identify real estate market segments to target customers and clients. Develop your positioning strategies, explain the purpose of, and design your marketing plan and budget. You will also develop a marketing plan including a marketing campaign and promotional material for a particular property. Along with the above you will learn about various methods of sale for real estate and the transfer of land as applied to the Agreement for Sale and Purchase of real estate in order to facilitate a real estate transaction through to settlement.
|Indicative Fees *||$1,341 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Property Guru Database subscription levy - $42.00 (only if you're enrolled in Property Ownership, Inspections and Appraisals)
Fees per topic:
- The Legislative Environment - $446
- Property Ownership, Inspections and Appraisals - $446
- The Real Estate Sales Process - $420
Take advantage of our early bird fees for your 2021 study. Enrol by 31 December 2020 and you’ll pay the 2020 tuition fees. Conditions apply.*
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
Real estate standards require proficient communication skills, therefore you must be able to demonstrate the capacity to understand requirements and instructions, and communicate to the required industry level. You must also have a good understanding, knowledge and use of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
Details of licensing requirements can be found on the Real Estate Agents Authority website. We recommend that you check your eligibility for a licence by reading Section 37 of the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
Licensing Requirements under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008
- Details of licensing requirements can be found on the Real Estate Agents Authority website. We recommend that you check your eligibility for a licence by reading Section 37 of the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.
You will need:
- Access to a computer and high speed internet service
- Latest Internet Explorer or Firefox
- Microphone, speakers, web cam (headset) - for online students only
- Microsoft Word - minimum version 97-2003
- Microsoft Excel - minimum version 97-2003
- Latest Adobe Flash and Reader (free to download online)
- Latest Java installed
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
- Full time intakes: 15 Feb, Apr and May
- Part time intakes: Jan, 22 Feb, and Jul
|Online||Online||11 Jan 2021|
|Online||Online||15 Feb 2021|
|Online||Online||22 Feb 2021|
|Online||Online||12 Apr 2021|
|Online||Online||31 May 2021|
|Online||Online||26 Jul 2021|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Or 24 weeks part-time online
- Part-time study available
- Offered online or partly online
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
New Zealand Certificate in Real Estate (Specialist) (Level 5)