Gain the skills and knowledge to grow your understanding about organic crop production to give you the tools to grow within this exciting sector.
You will learn from talented tutors and get stuck into a highly engaged and practical learning environment, where you can turn theory into practice with our very own on-site market garden.
You’ll cover topics such as soil management and how crop requirements can be satisfied organically, whilst actively producing vegetables, fruit and herbs over a full growing year.
Course delivery is face to face and online and you will attend exciting field trips to meet other organic growers working in industry and see how they are making a meaningful difference in the world.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Organic Primary Production (Crop Production) (Level 4)
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year part-time
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Organic Fruit Production
- Organic Grower
- Market Gardeners
- Vineyard supervisors
- Team leaders
- Organic crop supervisors, monitors or leading hands
- Organic Nursery specialists
Topics you'll cover
- Organic Principles and Certification: understand organic principles and compliance requirements and identify how these are applied to successful organic primary production operations
- Soil and Nutrient Management: understand soil health practices and apply management strategies to improve soil quality and nutrient availability
- Organic Crop Production: carry out specific production activities to implement and monitor an organic crop plan over a full production season
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, OR
- a Level 3 qualification in Horticulture, Agriculture OR show equivalent skills and knowledge
- evidence of ability to complete academic and any other course requirements
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year part-time
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
New Zealand Certificate in Organic Primary Production (Level 5)