Would you like to work in the construction industry? Get a head start by gaining the right skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
By choosing the Carpentry strand, you’ll gain a specific Carpentry focus and will get you ready to enter the construction workforce as an apprentice.
You’ll enjoy trips to local construction sites and visits from industry experts. You’ll also work as part of a team building a house or similar structure!
Once you’ve graduated you can apply for labourer or apprentice roles in the construction industry. If you get an apprenticeship you'll continue your education by being enrolled part-time in a Level 4 qualification in carpentry.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Carpentry) (Level 3)
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Labourer or apprentice within the construction industry
Topics you'll cover
- Workplace Safety Frameworks and Practices
- Skills for Construction Trades
- Carpentry Terminology and Concepts
- Building Technology and Properties
- Construction and Installation Processes and Techniques
- Carpentry Project Preliminaries
- Carpentry Project Foundations and Support Structures
- Carpentry Project Frames, Structures and Exterior Envelope
- Carpentry Project Interior Linings and Finishing
You'll also cover safety, tools, materials, construction terminology, construction tasks and projects, processes, and techniques.
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- 10 credits in each of literacy (reading and writing) and numeracy at NCEA Level 1, OR
- be able to demonstrate suitable knowledge and skills
If you do not meet the academic requirements you may be given special admission if Toi Ohomai staff are satisfied you are capable of successfully completing the requirements.
Special admission may also apply for applicants over 20 years.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
You must be physically capable of meeting the course requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.