BIOL5017 Terrestrial Invertebrates (Level 5) (15 credits)
The aim of this paper is to provide students with an introductory knowledge and understanding of New Zealand invertebrates including their biology, ecology classification and identification.
You’ll examine insects, starfish, snails, spiders, parasites and more in the field, laboratory and classroom. How did they evolve? How do they communicate? How do they breathe? How do they feed? What ecosystem services do they provide?
- Evolution and classification of invertebrates including identification
- Biology and ecology of a wide variety of invertebrates
- Reproduction, life cycles, physiology, behaviour and ecosystem functions
- Invertebrate sampling in the field
- Insect identification
- Three invertebrate dissection laboratories