Our Level 4 sterilising technology course is for anyone working or wanting to work in the reprocessing of reusable medical devices in the medical, dental or veterinary services. This course provides the minimum qualification required to work as a sterile services or endoscopy technician.
While taught fully online, this course also includes a compulsory work component where you’ll need access to sterilisation technology – either by employment, or the ability to complete work experience – to put what you learn into practice.
This Level 4 certificate provides a study pathway on to our New Zealand Diploma in Sterilising Technology (Level 5), also delivered online.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 4)
|Next intake||Feb 2021 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
32 weeks part-time
Part-time study available
Offered online / partly online
|Indicative Fees||$1,012 per 20 credit topic for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Sterilising technician in either community or hospital health service organisations
- Endoscopy technician
Topics you'll cover
- Safe Sterilisation Work Practice
- Application of Standards for Sterilisation Practice
- Applied Sterilisation Practice Project
|Indicative Fees *||$1,012 per 20 credit topic for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
Applicants must have:
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, or New Zealand Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 3), or 6 months of employment in a sterilisation services environment;
- access to the internet that will enable them to meet the directed learning hours; and
- access to a workplace for a minimum of 64 supervised work experience hours across the course where they will have access to at least one form of sterilisation.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Online||Online||22 Feb 2021|
|Online||Online||21 Jun 2021|
|Online||Online||18 Oct 2021|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 32 weeks part-time
- Part-time study available
- Offered online or partly online