Start your career in the maritime industry with this entry level Certificate in Domestic Maritime Crewing. This course is ideal if you’re new to the maritime industry or wish to progress to a role where a Maritime New Zealand Qualified Deck Crew certificate may be required.
You’ll gain the skills and knowledge needed to operate as a safe and effective deck crew member under limited supervision on vessels of less than 24 metres in length, operating in restricted and near coastal waters.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Domestic Maritime Crewing (Level 3)
You'll also be awarded the following:
- STCW-10 Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers
- Maritime Restricted Radio Operators Certificate (MRROC)
Note: Completion of this course is a prerequisite to:
- applying for a Maritime New Zealand Qualified Deck Crew Certificate (QDC)
- completing a Maritime New Zealand Training Record Book
|Next intake||Jul 2021 View more details|
13 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$2,341 for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Deck crew on either general commercial or passenger vessels operating in restricted or near coastal waters.
Potential employers include:
- cruise ships
- fishing vessels
- super yachts
- oil rigs
- commercial vessels
Topics you'll cover
- Marine Health and Safety
- Emergency procedures
|Indicative Fees *||$2,341 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- Applicant must be minimum age of 16 years.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||26 Jul 2021|
- 13 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions