The aim of this course is to refresh graduates of the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice or previously licensed Immigration Advisers' knowledge of current immigration practices including immigration law and instructions.
This course will suit you if you want to apply or re-apply for an Immigration Adviser licence but it’s been more than 12 months since you’ve graduated or held your licence.
If this applies to you, you must complete the New Zealand Immigration Adviser Refresher Course within 12 months of the licence application being lodged.
The refresher course covers specifically identified and Immigration Adviser Registrar approved content from within the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice.
Once you have successfully completed the Refresher course you can apply for a licence to work as a licensed adviser – offering professional advice to overseas clients who want to move here, help with work permits for those pursuing new job opportunities in New Zealand, provide assistance with visa applications, and general advice to help clients during the settling in process.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you will receive:
- Confirmation of Completion
You will receive a Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology Achievement Record when you have successfully completed the Refresher Course - no academic credit will be given.
To be eligible to receive the Achievement Record you will be required to participate in all coursework and successfully complete (pass) both assessments.
Assessments may take the form of written assessments, online tests and quizzes, case studies and online discussion forums. You will not be required to sit any examinations.
|Next intake||Feb 2021 View more details|
12 weeks part-time
This course is designed for people who have completed the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice, or who have previously held an Immigration Adviser's licence.
Offered online / partly online
|Indicative Fees||$1,100 per topic/paper for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Licensed immigration adviser
Topics you'll cover
The New Zealand Immigration Advice Refresher Course involves approximately 100 learning hours and is delivered online over a maximum of 6 weeks.
As you will be working at your own pace you may complete it in less time.
The course comprises the most up to date information on visa requirements and the requirements of the code of conduct.
Content covered includes:
- Personal and professional qualities required; honest, ethical, diligent and respectful
- Providing immigration advice
- Licensing regime
- Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007
- Functions of the Immigration Advisers Authority, Registrar of Immigration Advisers
- Professional responsibilities and code of conduct
- IAA Competency Standards
- Complaints, offences and penalties
- The Immigration Advisers Complaints and Disciplinary Authority
- Continuing professional development requirements
- Professional standard of English
- Temporary Entry categories
- Residence Entry categories
- Compliance categories
Immigration law and instructions:
- Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007
- Immigration Act 2009
- Privacy Act 1993
- Official information Act 1982
- Ombudsmen Act 1975
- New Zealand immigration visa system and lodgement requirements
- Eligibility assessments
- Mandatory documents
- Immigration decision-making
- INZ Operational Manual
- International instruments and obligations
All activities must be completed and two marked assessments must be passed.
|Indicative Fees *||$1,100 per topic/paper for domestic students|
Fee variations if you're studying the course outside of New Zealand
If you’re a -
- New Zealand citizen studying the course outside of New Zealand, you will be charged the Domestic fee (excluding GST) - $947 (excluding GST) per refresher topic/paper.
Important Note: New Zealand Permanent Residents, Australian citizens and Australian Permanent Residents studying the course outside of New Zealand, will be charged International Fees (excluding GST).
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
Course Entry Information
You must have:
- completed the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice, OR
- previously held an Immigration Adviser's licence, OR
- been directed to this course by the IACDT.
The IAA will inform applicants, of their requirement to complete the Refresher Course in order to obtain a licence. Applicants can find further information regarding the Refresher Course on the IAA website.
There is no RPL as this is a mandatory requirement to re-apply for a licence.
You must have access to a computer and the internet in order to participate in the online learning activities and assessments.
You'll demonstrate application of knowledge through completion of learning activities, formative and summative assessments.
- access to a computer and reliable high speed internet service
- up-to-date internet browsers; Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer (available free to download online)
- speakers (in-built computer speakers are fine)
- Microsoft Word - minimum version 97-2003
- latest Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader (available free to download from Adobe online)
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Online||Online||22 Feb 2021|
|Online||Online||12 Apr 2021|
|Online||Online||12 Jul 2021|
|Online||Online||6 Sep 2021|
- 12 weeks part-time
- This course is designed for people who have completed the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice, or who have previously held an Immigration Adviser's licence.
- Offered online or partly online