Keen on a career in hospitality management?
This one-year course will set you up for a trainee management or team leader position in New Zealand’s booming hospitality industry. You'll learn about what’s involved in managing a department, facilities, inventories and supplies within a hospitality business, as well as how to monitor and maintain operating procedures.
You'll also find out how to work with other staff and build great relationships. During your studies you'll get plenty of practice talking with visitors and working at real events as part of a team. Lots of field trips during the year will put you in front of employers and show you what kind of organisations are involved in this growing industry.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Hospitality Management (Level 5)
|Locations||Rotorua, Taupō, Tauranga, Tokoroa|
|Next intake||Feb 2020 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$5,599 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Junior or trainee hospitality management roles, supervisor or team leader roles across a range of hospitality sectors such as kitchens, restaurants, bars, cafes, accommodation, catering or hotels.
Topics you'll cover
- Professionalism and core skills for tourism and hospitality
- Introduction to the tourism and hospitality industry
- Supervisory skills for tourism and hospitality
- Hotel operations
- Showcasing tourism, travel hospitality and gastronomy
- Managing the customer experience
- Planning and marketing for tourism and hospitality enterprise
- Food and beverage operations
|Indicative Fees||$5,599 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
$200 for field trips
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- NCEA Level 2 including passes in English or Te Reo Māori, plus 42 credits at Level 3 or equivalent, OR
- a Level 3 or Level 4 qualification in a hospitality-related discipline (e.g., food and beverage service, accommodation services, hotel reception), or equivalent, OR
- evidence of ability to meet the academic requirements
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||17 Feb 2020|
|Taupō||Taupō Campus||17 Feb 2020|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||17 Feb 2020|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||17 Feb 2020|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||13 Jul 2020|
|Taupō||Taupō Campus||13 Jul 2020|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||13 Jul 2020|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||13 Jul 2020|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available