Do you love buildings and fancy designing your own, creating something that future generations will enjoy?
The construction industry is taking off and it needs lots more architectural technicians to draw all the new buildings that our growing population needs.
This practical, fun course develops efficient technical draughting skills – focusing on what is and isn’t important across a broad range of work – which means our graduates are highly prized by employers. You’ll learn how to ‘connect the dots’ between an architect and a builder, producing the vital set of legal drawings – or plans – that each construction project depends on.
Topics include construction methods, building legislation, design principles, working drawings, the tender process, feasibility issues and contract administration, with a huge focus on the draughting software programme ArchiCAD.
Our motivated tutors are experts in the field and and provide all the support you need to succeed. If you’re an accurate, detail oriented person who loves technical drawing and discussing ideas with people, this is the course for you.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology (Level 6)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
2 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,504 per year for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Architectural technician
- CAD technician
- Draughtsperson for truss or frame manufacturers
- Draughtsperson for an Engineer, landscape designer, Interior designer or Kitchen & Bathroom Designer
- Other building construction related careers such as building certification, building inspector
Topics you'll cover
- Industry Roles and Legislation
- Tender Processes
- Building Materials
- Construction Drawing
- Small Building Construction
- Building Feasibility
- Documentation for Small Buildings
- Construction Detailing
- Environmental Impact
- Commercial Construction
- Design Theory
- Preliminary Design
- Building Services
- Developed Design
- Virtual Design and Documentation
- Documentation for Medium Buildings
|Indicative Fees||$6,504 per year for domestic students|
Flexi-learn option $797 per topic
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
There are no minimum academic requirements (open entry).
However it is recommended that you:
- have a minimum of 48 credits in four subjects including English and Maths, OR
- are able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 2 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- Bachelor of Architecture - Victoria University or the University of Auckland
- Bachelor of Architectural Technology - Unitec