Want to join the diverse and growing engineering industry but not sure which path to take? This comprehensive one-year course will give you a solid head start and teach you a variety of industry valued skills making you a valuable candidate when looking for an engineering apprenticeship.
This practical course includes core engineering, mechanical and fabrication skills.
You'll work hands-on with supportive, experienced tutors to develop skills that form the first year requirements of an engineering apprenticeship.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
|Next intake||Jun 2019 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,742 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Mechanical Fitter
- Maintenance Engineer
- General Engineer
- Engineering Trades Assistant
Topics you'll cover
- Engineering Health and Safety
- Engineering Calculations and Drawing
- Mechanical Engineering Workshop Skills
- Engineering Machining
- Engineering Fabrication
- Mechanical Engineering Processes and Quality
- Mechanical Engineering Communication
|Indicative Fees||$6,742 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Overalls, textbook, welding safety kit, toolkit - $770
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- have NCEA Level 1 with 10 credits in Numeracy (algebra, trigonometry, measurement recommended) and 10 credits in Literacy, OR
- be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills
When studying at Toi Ohomai you’re required to be free from the influence of drugs and alcohol. Some activities you will do on this course could present risk, and you will be trained to do these activities safely.
You may be required to undergo a drug test, and failure to pass this could require a re-test. Failure to pass a re-test could put your place on the course at risk.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||Monday, 24 June 2019|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Trade) (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Engineering Fabrication (Trade) (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Building Services (Trade) (Level 4)