Our Level 4 sterilising technology course is for anyone working or wanting to work in the reprocessing of reusable medical devices in the medical, dental or veterinary services. This course provides the minimum qualification required to work as a sterile services or endoscopy technician.
While taught fully online, this course also includes a compulsory work component where you’ll need access to sterilisation technology – either by employment, or the ability to complete work experience – to put what you learn into practice.
This Level 4 certificate provides a study pathway on to our New Zealand Diploma in Sterilising Technology (Level 5), also delivered online.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jun 2019 View more details|
16 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
32 weeks part-time
Part-time study available
Offered online or partly online
|Indicative Fees||$992 per 20 credit topic for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Sterilising technician in either community or hospital health service organisations
- Endoscopy technician
Topics you'll cover
- Safe Sterilisation Work Practice
- Application of Standards for Sterilisation Practice
- Applied Sterilisation Practice Project
|Indicative Fees||$992 per 20 credit topic for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
Applicants must have:
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, or New Zealand Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 3);
- access to the internet that will enable them to meet the directed learning hours; and
- access to a workplace for a minimum of 64 supervised work experience hours across the course where they will have access to at least one form of sterilisation.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2.
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Online||Online||Monday, 24 June 2019|
|Online||Online||Monday, 21 October 2019|
|Online||Online||Monday, 17 February 2020|
- 16 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 32 weeks part-time
- Part-time study available
- Offered online or partly online