This brand new one-year diploma gives you the skills and knowledge you need to start your career as a wellness and relaxation massage therapist.
Networking opportunities are in abundance during your study – our students work with and learn from the best so they can go on to become industry leaders in their own right.
You’ll get loads of hands-on experience with on-campus clinics and you'll work with elite sports teams like the New Zealand Rugby Sevens team, New Zealand Breakers, Northern District Cricket, and plenty more!
Toi Ohomai is committed to helping the massage industry grow as a recognised industry by producing high quality graduates who are keen to develop a valuable career with endless opportunities.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage (Level 5)
|Next intake||Mar 2020 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,181 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- home-based massage therapist
- community based massage therapist
- employment within health care facilities or spa-based massage therapy clinics
- employment within sport and fitness facilities (non-injury work) or with sport teams or individual athletes.
You may choose to become self-employed with your own massage therapy business, or you may find employment in the sports industry, working in spas and hotels, on cruise ships, or alongside other medical professionals like physiotherapists.
Topics you'll cover
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Human Body
- The Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage
- The Professional Practitioner
- Massage Therapy: Theory to Practice
- Human Movement and Exercise Fundamentals
- The Fundamentals of Sport Massage
|Indicative Fees *||$6,181 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
For Levels 5, 6 and 7 certificate or diploma, domestic students under 20 and all international students must have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and a minimum of 42 credits at level 3; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
You will need to sign a consent form, which will allow Toi Ohomai to complete a police check before you start the course, during the course, and before you finish the course. Any applicant with a conviction must attend an interview with the relevant department staff and may be declined entry onto the course.
You will only be accepted onto the course once a satisfactory police check has been completed.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||2 Mar 2020|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||2 Mar 2020|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Diploma in Remedial Massage (Level 6) (under development and/or pending approval)