Ready for a change but not sure what career or study choice is right for you?
This course provides opportunities for you to explore career and higher level study options. There’s a wide range of options to choose from and with small class sizes and supportive tutors you’ll soon be on your way to a new career.
The qualification helps to improve your study skills, computer skills and communication. You’ll enjoy lots of group work as well as self-directed study, where you can explore and achieve your goals.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3)
|Locations||Rotorua, Taupō, Tauranga, Wider BOP/Other|
|Next intake||Jul 2019 View more details|
19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
This course provides an introduction to further study which can then lead to a career in the area of your choice.
Topics you'll cover
During the course you'll explore and identify your own personal skills and strengths. You'll:
- identify your own personal attributes and skills matching these to possible career and study opportunities
- problem solve and use communication skills
- develop a plan for your future study and career options
- further develop knowledge in your chosen field, industry or study pathway
- learn to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team
- explore the wider opportunities your chosen field and industry have within the wider community and internationally
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
Level 1 NCEA with 10 Literacy credits and 10 Numeracy credits.
If you do not meet the academic requirements you may be given special admission if Toi Ohomai staff are satisfied you are capable of successfully completing the requirements.
Special admission may also apply for applicants over 20 years.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||Monday, 22 July 2019|
|Taupō||Turangi Site(s)||Monday, 22 July 2019|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||Monday, 22 July 2019|
|Wider BOP/Other||Kawerau Site(s)||Monday, 22 July 2019|
- 19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- further study at Level 4 or above