Gain an introductory-level sterilising technology qualification within 12 weeks – fully online.
If you’re working in a small business that uses reusable medical devices requiring sterilisation, you’ll learn how to support the sterilisation methods required for safe and compliant practices.
This is valuable knowledge for environments that offer personal services such as beauty treatments, tattooing, dental care, and body piercing, as well as veterinary care.
If you’re based in a medical clinic, private or public hospital, you may also be interested in this course from an introductory perspective.
This Level 3 certificate provides a study pathway on to Level 4 and Level 5 courses, both taught via online study.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 3)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
12 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
24 weeks part-time
Part-time study available
Offered online or partly online
|Indicative Fees||$992 per 20 credit topic for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates of this course can work in businesses that utilise reusable medical devices that require sterilisation. These business could include; tattooists, beauty therapists, dental clinics, body piercing professionals and veterinary clinics.
Topics you'll cover
- Microbiology and Infection Control for Safe Sterilisation Practice
- Standards for Safe Sterilisation Practice
|Indicative Fees||$992 per 20 credit topic for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- have the ability to complete academic programme requirements and have ability to study at this level;
- have access to the internet that will enable them to meet the directed learning hours; and
- be able to demonstrate access to sterilisation technology, either by employment, or the ability to complete work experience, in a relevant business with access to these facilities.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Complete a diagnostic assessment either prior to or in the first 2 weeks of their study to ensure students can meet adequate literacy and numeracy skills to enable them to meet all academic, health and safety requirements of their programme and to enable appropriate support to be provided.
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 12 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 24 weeks part-time
- Part-time study available
- Offered online or partly online