Do you love helping people and want better job security?
Health care is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world and this qualification will give you the skills and confidence to step into it. This course equips you with the core skills you need to provide quality care.
It’s an ideal course for people wanting to enter the health care sector, or for health care workers already working in the industry who want to upskill.
Over 18 weeks you’ll cover topics including; the human body, leadership and communication in health, professional practice, community wellness and the New Zealand health system. This is combined with 200 hours of first-hand experience in a health care setting as an employee or volunteer.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Advanced Support) (Level 4)
You will also have completed a Comprehensive First Aid Certificate.
|Locations||Tauranga, Tokoroa, Whakatāne|
|Next intake||Jul 2020 View more details|
18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$1,900 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Working in hospices, specialised dementia units, aged residential care or home and community support settings, as a:
- health care assistant
- senior caregiver
- senior health care assistant
- senior support worker
Topics you'll cover
- BIOL4005: The Human Body
- HUMW4013: Case Management
- HUMW4015: Professional Practice
- HUMW4016: Leadership and Communication in Health
|Indicative Fees *||$1,900 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You must have:
- completed the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 3) in Health Assistance or Support Work strand;OR
- an equivalent qualification or experience in the health and wellbeing sectors.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||13 Jul 2020|
|Whakatāne||Whakatāne Campus||13 Jul 2020|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||27 Jul 2020|
- 18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Public Health and Health Promotion (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Addiction Studies (Applied) (Level 5)
- Bachelor of Applied Science and Sustainability (Human Wellbeing)