Do you need to improve your English language skills?
This course is for learners who wish to increase their English language proficiency for general communication. This course is free for New Zealand citizens and permanent residents.
You'll learn the language skills required to communicate independently and effectively in familiar and less-familiar situations with fluency and flexibility. This could be in community or societal settings.
We offer beginner to advanced English courses. We'll assess your English when you enrol to decide the best level for you to study at.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Oct 2018 View more details|
19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||Fees free for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
This course is intended for students of English as an additional language, who wish to improve their English, or who are attending NZQA-approved courses in Aotearoa New Zealand, rather than a direct pathway to employment.
Graduates of this course will have the English language skills to work in employment that involves:
- interpersonal communication,
- understanding of context-specific texts of a more general nature,
- writing transactional exchanges, records, reports and letters, and
- interaction in a team.
Topics you'll cover
The course will focus on:
- critical thinking
- problem solving
Topics in this course:
- Communication 4 (General)
- Connection 4 (General)
- Community 4 (General)
- Concepts 4 (General)
This course is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2.
|Indicative Fees||Fees free for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Stationery - $30
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time in 2018 you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about free fees
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3), OR
- English Language Proficiency placement test
English language requirements
Your English will be assessed on entry.
Guideline for entry:
- General (Level 4) entry: CEFR low B2 or IELTS 5.5
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||Monday, 15 October 2018|
- 19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)