Ready to build on your creative skills in art and design?
In this level 4 course you'll learn the design process and how to develop your creative ideas.
This highly practical course combines workshops, tutorials, and small group activities. Hands-on projects enable you to unleash your creativity, experimenting and creating works from a variety of art and design mediums and techniques.
Your introductory knowledge will kick-start your career in the creative arts, or launch you into higher-level study.
* Art works in the header of this page by students: (l to r) Liam Banbury, Breeanna Goss (x2 paintings), Tonihi Kakau.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jul 2020 View more details|
18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$3,034 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Junior assistant
- Support roles in arts and/or creative industries such as:
Topics you'll cover
- Materials and Process: Nga Rawa me te Tukanga
- Creative Industries: Ngā Ahumahi Auaha
- Design Development: Whakawhanake Hoahoa
Plus, choose one of the following:
- Studio: Taupuni Mahi, or
- Graphic Design Studio: Taupuni Mahi Whakatauira Whakanikoniko, or
- Fashion Design Studio: Taupuni Mahi Hoahoa Kākahu
|Indicative Fees *||$3,034 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||20 Jul 2020|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||20 Jul 2020|
- 18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)