Imagine people playing a game that you created!
Study towards a career in the games industry and create your very own video game in a genre of your choice.
From chess to space invaders, to the very popular Directors Fortnite, gaming has exploded over the years and is now one the fastest growing sectors in the IT and entertainment industry.
This course will teach all about the history of gaming, including the evolution of consoles, gaming genre’s and design methodologies from our expert tutors.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Games Design (Level 3)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
5 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Junior roles in the games industry and/or undertake further study in game design and development.
Topics you'll cover
- Games industry (history and game genres)
- Game platforms and delivery options (i.e.PC, Xbox, Play Station, App stores, Steam)
- Game genres (i.e. Board Games, FPS, RTS, RPG and puzzle games)
- Design methodologies utilized in the development of games (i.e. game elements, game mechanics, in-game rule sets, rule systems, in-game strategies and gameplay)
- Design a prototype game
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
Course Entry Information
- Open entry.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 5 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- Software design and development level 4 and 5 courses
- IT technology level 4 and 5 courses