These days employers in the hospitality industry want staff with a range of skills. They need to be able to talk with customers, run all the front-of-house tasks with the same ease that they prepare great food.
In this one-year level 4 culinary arts course, you'll learn a range of skills to work in New Zealand’s booming hospitality industry.
You'll get loads of hands-on experience to practise skills in real-life service settings on campus. You'll also learn how to plan, prepare and present hot and cold, savoury and sweet dishes in our commercial kitchens.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jul 2020 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,950 for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Intermediate‐level opportunities as chefs
Topics you'll cover
- Preparation, cooking and culinary techniques
- Cold larder preparation and presentation (salads, sandwiches, dressings, buffets)
- Stocks, sauces and soups
- Vegetable, fruit and pulses
- Farinaceous products, rice, grain and egg dishes
- Meat, poultry and offal, cuts and dishes
- Fish and shellfish, cuts and dishes
- Healthier foods and balanced/special diets
- Patisserie and bakery products, hot and cold desserts
- Introduction to menu planning, costing and catering
- Food presentation
- Food safety practices, contamination hazards, and food storage
- Workplace health and safety, and workplace first aid
- Handling and maintenance of knives, equipment and tools in a commercial kitchen
- Customer service and hosting an event
|Indicative Fees *||$6,950 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Allow approximately $800 for uniforms, knife kit, and safety shoes/boots.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
You will need to confirm you have the physical capability to safely withstand 4‐8 hour sessions of working in the commercial kitchen environment.
Due to health and safety factors and space constraints, which restrict the number of students who can be accommodated in the commercial kitchens, limits on numbers may be imposed on this course.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||6 Jul 2020|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||6 Jul 2020|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)