Do you want to enrol in a diploma or a degree but don't quite meet the entry criteria, or need some learning confidence?
This course is designed to get you ready to succeed at higher level study and provide a pathway into degree and diploma courses like teaching, engineering, social work, business and management, environmental management, sports, surveying or social science.
We'll help you decide on a pathway that best suits your career goals and provide all the support you need to feel confident and ready to take the next step.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jul 2021 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$3,034 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates of this course may have enhanced employment opportunities in industries and professions associated with the context of their course.
Topics you'll cover
Compulsory topics in this course:
- Skills for Successful Tertiary Study
- Building Communication Competence
*Plus TWO of the following depending on your area of interest:
- Introduction to Health Studies
- Introduction to the Biophysical Basis of Health (recommended for Bachelor of Nursing)
- Introduction to the Counselling Profession
- Introduction to the Social Work Profession
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Research Skills and Mathematics for Tertiary Study
- Te Puawai
- Human Development across the Lifespan (recommended for Bachelor of Nursing)
- Introduction to General Science
*some elective topics listed above may not be offered in this academic year.
|Indicative Fees *||$3,034 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
A minimum of 40 credits at NCEA Level 2 across four subjects, plus:
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading and 5 credits in writing,
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects or unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required), OR
- by way of interview with the Programme Manager.
For applicants 20 years of age and over there are no minimum academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||19 Jul 2021|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||19 Jul 2021|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)