If your sights are set on an electrical career, this course is the perfect introduction.
At the end of your study you'll be ready to start as an electrical apprentice and progress your career further.
During the course you will learn how to install, test and maintain electrical systems and equipment, including some equipment in special electrical situations.
You'll also learn to diagnose faults and identify and report electrical and other hazards, and make sure your own activities are within legal limitations of the electrical legislation.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3)
Graduates of this course will not be qualified electricians but will have an operational and theoretical knowledge of electricity production, distribution, and utilisation, and can carry out a limited range of prescribed electrical work safely and ethically under general supervision in accordance with the Electricity Act 1992.
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- electrical apprentice
- electrical wholesaling or retailing as a counter salesperson
- electrical meter reader
Topics you'll cover
- Electrical Work Practices
- Electrical Fundamentals
- Cables and Protection
- Magnetism and Electronics
- AC Theory and Application
- Installation Practice
- Circuit Design and Operation
- Electrical Machines
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You must have:
- NCEA (Level 1) in Mathematics, English, and Physics or General Science, OR
- equivalent qualifications, AND/OR
- be able to demonstrate suitable knowledge and skills.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
When studying at Toi Ohomai you’re required to free from the influence of drugs and alcohol. Some activities you will do on this course could present risk, and you will be trained to do these activities safely.
You may be required to undergo a drug test, and failure to pass this could require a re-test. Failure to pass a re-test could put your place on the course at risk.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 2021 Youth Guarantee places are now full.
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory and Practice (Trade) (Level 4)
- Apprenticeship industry training