Advance your career in the road transport industry. You’ll learn advanced management skills in dispatch and logistics for freight by road. This includes route and load planning, and cost and risk assessment. You’ll also cover health and safety requirements and regulations.
You’ll need to already be working in the industry to do this course however, the flexibility provided means you’ll be able to keep that work, life balance.
To safely manage fleet operations and maintenance, you’ll learn to apply skills like fleet management, staff supervision, conflict resolution, and incident and change management. You’ll also cover mechanical systems principles like axle weights and combinations.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Operations Management) (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2021 View more details|
2 years part-time
Offered online / partly online
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Senior roles in the road transport and logistics industry, such as operations manager, dispatch operators or dispatchers, and may seek a career in commercial driving, management, logistics, or supply chain management.
Topics you'll cover
- Despatch and Planning
- Fleet Vehicle Management
- Quality and Cost Management
- Managing People
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Leadership and Compliance
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
All students must have:
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, and a minimum of 42 credits at Level 3, or
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator)(Level 3), or
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Haulage Class 1 Pilot)(Level 4), or
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Specialist Driver)(Level 4) with strands in Transportation of Logs, Heavy Haulage Transportation, Livestock Transportation, Dangerous Good Transportation, Waste Transportation, General Cartage, and Groundspreading, or
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Senior Driver)(Level 5), or
- evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For Levels 5, 6 and 7 certificate or diploma, domestic students under 20 and all international students must have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and a minimum of 42 credits at level 3; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Online||Online||22 Feb 2021|
|Online||Online||19 Jul 2021|
- 2 years part-time
- Offered online or partly online