Take your academic and industry knowledge and help shape and grow the next generation of learners.
At the end of this course, you'll be equipped with the latest teaching strategies and research to ensure your learners enjoy and engage in their learning.
You'll complete real teaching activities to meet the assessment requirements for all four courses, in a flexible learning environment in both online and face-to-face formats. After completing this one year part time course, you'll be able to enter a variety of adult teaching positions in your chosen field.
This course is delivered part-time over a year face-to-face on campus or fully online via eCampus NZ.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Adult and Tertiary Teaching (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2021, Flexible View more details|
1 year part-time
Offered online / partly online
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- vocational or workplace educator
- vocational or workplace trainer
- academic staff member or tutor
Topics you'll cover
This course has four compulsory topics. Learner Centred Practice must be completed first.
You are then able to enrol in either, or both of, the Teaching Approaches for Learner Success, or Assessment and Moderation topics, before finishing your study with Perspectives on Teaching and Learning.
Learner Centred Practice
- This topic focuses on valuing and working with learner diversity, adult learning theory and principles, planning your teaching as well as an introduction on how to embed literacy and numeracy skills. This topic must be completed first.
Teaching Approaches for Learner Success
- Teaching models and approaches will be further developed to enhance student engagement and success. You'll be able to identify, implement and evaluate teaching approaches appropriate for your learner profile and the context of your subject.
Assessment and Moderation
- This topic explores course design and models of assessment. You'll develop your own skills in writing valid assessment and also skills and knowledge to evaluate and improve assessment designed by your colleagues.
Perspectives on Teaching and Learning
- The final topic to be completed, this is where you reflect on your own philosophy of teaching and learning and the principles and perspectives which will guide your teaching practice.
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees for domestic students|
Online option via eCampus NZ - $2,380.26 total cost of qualification.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
NCEA Level 2. You may still be approved for entry if you can show you have the literacy and numeracy skills needed for tertiary study through other study, work and/or life experience.
You will need to have access to a group of at least 6 learners in order to complete your course activities and required assessments. These graded assessments contribute towards your overall grade, so if you do not have access to a group of students, you will be unable to successfully complete the course.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||8 Feb 2021|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||5 Jul 2021|
- 1 year part-time
- Offered online or partly online
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Diploma in Adult and Tertiary Teaching (Level 6)
- Bachelor of Teaching
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching
- Further postgraduate study in adult teaching