Start a fulfilling career in the rapidly changing modern horticulture industry!
Learn the science behind growing great food and creating amazing outdoor living spaces. Get your hands dirty while growing a landscape that provides nourishment for mind, body and soul.
You’ll also learn to operate tractors, quad bikes and other horticultural machinery , while developing versatile practical skills, including fencing, irrigation , general repairs and the maintenance of structures and small machinery.
After graduating, you’ll be able to build a career creating recreational spaces that are critical to our cities’ health and wellbeing, or join a production team that helps feed the world by producing quality fruit, vegetables, grains, seeds, flowers and trees.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3) and the New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Vehicles Machinery and Infrastructure) (Level 3)
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- On completion of this course, graduates can pursue assistant or general hand roles in the primary industry sector, or undertake further study in agriculture, horticulture or other primary industry-related disciplines.
Topics you'll cover
- Optimising Plant Growth
- Introduction to Horticulture Design and Plant Selection
- Horticulture Pests, Diseases and Weeds
- Plant Propagation and Nursery Systems
- Horticulture Project Maintenance
- Primary Industry Infrastructure Maintenance and Hazard Management
- Introduction to Agri-vehicles
Select one of the following electives:
- Chainsaw Safety, Servicing and Use
- Small Engine Equipment: Servicing, Maintenance and Use
- Tractor Powered equipment
Plus one elective from:
- Operating Tractors
- Operating Quad Bikes
- Operating Light Utility Vehicles
- Operating Farm Motorcycles
- Operating Elevated Platform Vehicle in Horticulture
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)