Get ready to launch yourself into New Zealand’s multi-billion dollar hospitality industry with this one-year, full-time hospitality course. Lots of hands-on learning in real-life service settings at our Rotorua campus will make sure you’re job-ready.
The industry is expecting a shortfall of 40,000 workers by 2025 and is desperate for skilled workers. Visit businesses during fieldtrips and hear from employers who regularly visit our campus. You learn practical skills in food and beverage service, food safety and how to talk with customers from different social and cultural backgrounds.
Mokoia Campus is just 5km from the city centre of Rotorua – one of New Zealand’s top tourist destination. The city is renowned for its friendliness, geothermal activity, Maori culture and numerous adventure tourism attractions. Rotorua is home to lots of accessible lakes, lush New Zealand bush and a 45-minute drive to some of the country’s best beaches. Or, venture a little further for skiing, wine-tasting and a variety of awesome sight-seeing.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the awards of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (Café Services) (Barista) (Level 3), AND
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (Restaurant Services) Level 4)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,947 for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Service staff within the hospitality industry
Topics you'll cover
- Safety Practices in Food and Beverage Service
- Communication and Work Practices for Food and Beverage Service
- Food and Beverage Preparation
- Café Culture and Service
- The Art of Coffee and Barista Service
- Food and Beverage Services: Monitoring Work Practices
- Restaurant Operations
- Restaurant Service Delivery
- Food and Beverage Service: Legislation and Compliance
|Indicative Fees *||$6,947 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Professional front of house uniform and shoes – Allow approx. $350.
Take advantage of our early bird fees for your 2021 study. Enrol by 31 December 2020 and you’ll pay the 2020 tuition fees. Conditions apply.*
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
If you select the food and beverage services option, you must be able to have the physical capability to safely withstand 4-8 hour sessions of working in the commercial kitchen and café/restaurant environment.
If you have specific medical needs or a medical condition, a medical certificate from your doctor may be required.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)