The Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology High Performance Sports Academy Scholarship programme aims to support students to achieve high academic results in the course of their choice, whilst pursuing excellence in their sporting code.
- Open to all current and prospective students who are intending to study at Toi Ohomai in 2021. Open to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents only
- Open to students participating in a sport that is recognised on the Sport New Zealand list of national sports organisations
- The scholarship is for one year. Past recipients may apply again, however preference will be given to first-time scholarship applicants
- Rugby playing students who wish to apply for Toi Ohomai High Performance Scholarships should approach Bay of Plenty Rugby to access rugby specific scholarships
Applicants must clearly demonstrate:
- a record of academic achievement
- that they meet the entry criteria for their chosen course
- significant sporting achievement(s) to date and the potential to further excel in their sporting code
- leadership qualities
Each applicant must provide a one-page statement detailing these attributes and explaining why they would value this scholarship.
Two further references from people who know the applicant well (who are ideally not family members; and one of whom should be a current or recent coach) must also be submitted.
It is important to attach other evidence, such as photocopies of exam results and school reports, to the application.
Consideration of the suitability of applications will also be subject to Toi Ohomai’s capability, in conjunction with local agencies, to provide access to facilities and support appropriate to the applicant’s chosen sport.
Up to five High Performance Sports Academy Scholarships are available to students studying a Toi Ohomai course in 2020, which will cover up to one full year of course fees; or alternatively, if the scholarship recipient is eligible for a NZ government fees free subsidy, a study grant to the value of $5,000 will be paid directly to the recipient.
In addition, scholarship recipients will have free access to sport and fitness facilities on campus, as well as access to a high performance manager who can provide academic, sporting, and lifestyle support. Recipients are also allocated ten hours per annum access to sports support services, such as sports science testing. They will also receive a High Performance Sports Academy kit, consisting of a tracksuit and t-shirt.
Application Form / More information
- The recipient is expected to act as a positive role model at all times.
- The recipient must attend their induction into the Academy, which will be held in Tauranga in February.
- The recipient must be available for the award ceremony in March, as well as at up to four other engagements throughout the year.
- Each recipient will receive a branded tracksuit and t-shirt to wear at official functions and prizegivings. The recipient is expected to wear official clothing at these engagements.
- The recipient is to mention, when possible, their Toi Ohomai High Performance Sports Academy scholarship whenever they are interviewed by media throughout the year.
- The recipient is to keep in close contact with the High Performance Sports Academy Manager and inform him/her of all personal sporting successes that occur during the year.