Dr Krishna Reddy
Postgraduate Research Supervisor
Faculty of Business, Design and Service Industries
I am a Senior Academic Staff Member (Postgraduate Business) in the Faculty of Business, Design and Service Industries. Previous to my role here at Toi Ohomai, I was the Associate Professor and Head of Department (Finance) at the Australia Institute of Business in Adelaide, South Australia.
I have taught Bank Management at Massey University, Economics at International Pacific College, Hospitality Accounting and Finance at Pacific International Hotel Management School and the Course Convenor for Personal Financial Planning, Corporate Finance, Finance Theory and Corporate Policy, Corporate Restructuring and Governance, and Advanced Corporate Finance at the University of Waikato.
I have also worked in banks in Fiji and New Zealand and sat on a number of community based health-organisations as a board of trustees member.
My research interests include corporate governance, corporate finance, portfolio management, personal financial planning, mergers and acquisitions and small business finance.
- Diploma ASDP (USP, Fiji), Diploma Bus. Programming (Spherion Education), BA (Economics & Operations Research), MBA, and PGDip. Business Administration, Certificate in Return to Secondary teaching (Massey University) and PhD (Finance) from the University of Waikato.
Publications and Outputs
Articles in refereed journals
- Reddy, K., Qamar, M., & Yahanpath, N. (2018). Do Mergers and Acquisitions Create Value? The Post-M&A Performance of Acquiring Firms in China and India. Studies in Economics and Finance, forthcoming.
- Giudici, G., Tona, E., Reddy, K. & Dai W. (2018). The Effects of Environmental Disasters and Pollution Alerts on Chinese Equity Markets. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 1-21, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1540496X.2018.1473248.
- Naqvi, B., Rizvi, S. K. A., Mirza, N. & Reddy, K. (2018). Religion based investing and illusion of Islamic Alpha and Beta. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, DOI: 10.1016/j.pacfin.2018.02.003.
- Wellalage, N. H. & Reddy, K. (2018). Determinants of Profit Reinvestment undertaken by SMEs in the Small Island Countries. Global Finance Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfj.2017.11.001.
- Mirza, N. & Reddy, K. (2017). Asset Pricing in a developing economy: Evidence from Pakistan. Economic Bulletin, Vol. 37(4), 2483-2495. http://www.accessecon.com/Pubs/EB/2017/Volume37/EB-17-V37-I4-P221.pdf.
- Nguyen, T., Nguyen, A, Locke, S., & Reddy, K. (2017). Does the human capital of board of directors add value to firms? Evidence from an Asian market. Cogent Economics and Finance, Vol. 5(1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23322039.2017.1385439.
- Reddy, K., Mirza, N., Bushra, N., & Fu, M. (2017). Comparative risk adjusted performance of Islamic, socially responsible and conventional funds: Evidence from United Kingdom. Economic Modelling, 66, 233-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2017.07.007.
- Thrikawala, S., Locke, S & Reddy, K. (2017). Dynamic Endogeneity and Corporate Governance–Performance Relationship: Lessons from the Microfinance Sector. Journal of Economic Studies, 44(5). DOI: 10.1108/JES-12-2015-0220.
- Thrikawala, S., Locke, S & Reddy, K. (2017). Financial Performance of Microfinance Institutions (MFIs): Does Gender Diversity Matters? International Journal of Gender Studies in Developing Societies,2(2), 91-110. DOI: 10.1504/IJGSDS.2017.10010287.
- Reddy, K. & Clinton, V. (2016). Simulating stock prices using geometric Brownian motion: Evidence from Australian companies. Australasian Accounting Business and Finance Journal, 10(3). DOI: 10.14453/aabfj.v10i3.3.
- Thrikawala, S., Locke, S. & Reddy, K. (2016). Board structure-performance relationship in microfinance finance institutions (MFIs an emerging market. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 16(5) 815-830.
- Mirza, N; Rahat, B; & Reddy, K. (2016). Financial leverage and stock returns: evidence from emerging economy. Ekonomska Istraživanja/Economic Research 29(1), 85-100. DOI: 10.1080/1331677X.2016.1160792 [H Index 11, Impact Factor 0.4].
- Thrikawala, S., Locke, S. & Reddy, K. (2015). An Empirical Analysis of Corporate Governance Impact on Outreach of Microfinance Institutions (MFIs). Corporate Ownership & Control, 13(1), 8-14. DOI:10.22495/cocv13i1p1 [Impact Factor 0.14].
- Nguyen, T., Locke, S. & Reddy, K. (2015). Ownership concentration and corporate performance from a dynamic perspective: Does national governance quality matter? International Review of Financial Analysis, 148-161.
- Mirza, N; Rahat, B; & Reddy, K. (2015). Business dynamics, efficiency, asset quality and stability: The case of financial intermediaries in Pakistan. Economic Modelling, 46, 358-363.
- Muhammad, N; Scrimgeour, F; Reddy, K; & Abidin, S (2015). The relationship between environmental performance and financial performance in periods of growth and contraction: Evidence from Australian publicly listed companies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 102, 324-332. [A, Impact Factor 5.79].
- Reddy, K., Abidin, A. & You, J. (2015). Does Corporate Governance Matter in Determining CEO Compensation in the Publicly Listed Companies in New Zealand? An Empirical Investigation. Managerial Finance, Vol. 41(3), 301-327.
- Nguyen, T., Locke, S. & Reddy, K. (2014). Does boardroom gender diversity matter in a weak corporate governance system? Evidence from a transition market. International Review of Economics and Finance. 37, 184-202. DOI: 10.1016/j.iref.2014.11.022.
- Muhammad, N., Scrimgeour, F., Reddy, K. & Abidin, S. (2014). Emission Indices for Hazardous Substances: An Alternative Measure of Corporate Environmental Performance.” Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management – Online, 23, 15-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1357 [A, Impact Factor 4.918].
- Nguyen, T., Locke, S. & Reddy, K. (2014). A dynamic estimation of governance structures and financial performance for Singaporean companies. Economic Modelling, Vol. 40, 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2014.03.013.
- Reddy, K. & Locke, S. (2014). The Relationship between Ownership Structure, Capital Structure and Corporate Governance Practices: A Case Study of Co-operatives and Mutuals in New Zealand. International Journal of Managerial Finance, Vol. 10(4), 511-536.
- Reddy, K., Abidin, S., He, W. & Sinha, P. (2014). Does ownership identity of blockholders matter: An empirical analysis of publicly listed companies in New Zealand. Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol. 7(1), 14-44, http:/dx.doi.org/10.5296/ajfa.v7i1.6489.
- Abidin, S., Reddy, K., & Zhang, C. (2014). "Intensity of Price and Volatility Spillover Effects: Evidence from Asia-Pacific Region." Australasian Accounting Business and Finance Journal, Vol. 8 (5), 3-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.14453/aabfj.v8i5.2.
- Reddy, K. & Fu, M. (2014). Does Shariah Compliant Stocks Perform Better than the Conventional Stocks? A Comparative Study of Stocks Listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol.6 (2), 142-154. http://dx.doi.org/10.5296/ajfa.v6i2.6072.
- Muhammad, N., Scrimgeour, F., Reddy, K. & Abidin, S. (2014). The impact of corporate environmental performance on market risk: The Australian industry case. Journal of Business Ethics, 132, 347-362. doi: 10.1007/s10551-014-2324-3, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10551-014-2324-3/fulltext.html.
- Bird, R., Reddy, K. & Yeung, D. (2014). The relationship between Uncertainty and the Market Reaction to Information: Is it influenced by Stock-Specific Characteristics? International Journal of Behavioral Accounting and Finance (IJBAF), Vol. 4(2), 113 - 132. DOI: 10.1504/IJBAF.2014.061441.
- Thrikawala, S., Locke, S & Reddy, K. (2016). Corporate governance practices and performance of microfinance sector. In E. Klein (Eds). Corporate Governance: Principles, Practices and Challenges (pp.33-84). Nova Publishers.
- Reddy, K. and Bather, A. (2014). Institutional Investors, Firm Performance and the Prospects for Socially responsible Investing: Evidence from New Zealand, in Young, S and Gates, S. (2013) (ed.), “Institutional Investors and Corporate Response: Actors, Power and Responses”, Vol. 5, UK: Emerald Publishing.
- Bather, A., Hewa-Wellalage, N. and Reddy, K. (2014). MSME Governance: Can you tell me which way I ought to go from here? In Mueller, J. and Wells, P. (2013) (eds.), “Governance in Context: How and why companies respond to theories and principles of good corporate governance”, UK: RossiSmith.
- Reddy, K. and Tremaine, M. (1996). Colonial Past to the Global Future: Intercultural Bank Management in New Zealand, in L. Schuster (Eds.), Banking Cultures of the World (pp. 317 - 332), Frankfurt: Fritz Knapp Verlag.
- Reddy, K., (2011). Corporate Governance and Practices in New Zealand. The Relationship Between Corporate Governance Practices and Financial Performance in New Zealand: An Empirical Investigation, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller GmPH & Co. KG.
- Asbi, A., Ramiah, V., Yu, X., Wallace, D., Reddy, K., & Moosa, N. (2018). The Determinants of Recovery from the Black Saturday Bushfire: Demographic Factors, Behavioural Characteristics and Financial Literacy. Presented at the 3rd International Energy Finance Conference, 19th – 21st July, in Xi’an University of Technology, China.
- Almaqableh, L., Reddy, K., Ramiah, V., & Veron, J. F., & Wallace, D. (2018). The Link between Terrorist Attacks and the Cryptocurrency Market. Paper presented at the 9th RMUP International Conference, 21st – 22nd June, Pullman Bangkok King Power, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Reddy, K., Qamar, M., & Yahanpath, N. (2018). Do Mergers and Acquisitions Create Value? The Post-M&A Performance of Acquiring Firms in China and India. Presented at the New Zealand Finance Colloquium, 8th & 9th February, Massey University, Palmerton North Campus, New Zealand.
- Ramiah, V., Reddy, K., Veron, J. F., & Wallace, D. (2017). The effects of recent terrorist attacks on risk and returns in commodity markets. Presented at the 3rd Applied Financial Modelling Conference on “The Importance of Commodity Markets in Financial and Macroeconomic Stability”, Kampar, Malaysia, 7th – 9th November.
- Reddy, K., Dinh, T. H. D., & Yahanpath, N. (2017). Capital Structure Determinants of Small and Medium Capitalised Firms. Paper to be presented at the 30th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference, Sydney, Australia, 13th – 15th December.
- Reddy, K., Dinh, T. H. D., & Yahanpath, N. (2016). SMEs’ Capital Structure Decisions and Determinants in Europe: Factors that are Reliable during the Financial Crisis. Paper presented at the 23rd Annual Multinational Finance Society (MFS) Conference, 24thJune – 29Th June.
- Reddy, K., Mirza, Z. & Yu, Y. (2015). The relationship between the ownership identity, ownership concentration and firm operating efficiency. Paper presented at the 2015 Asian Finance Association Annual Meeting, Changsha, China, 29th June – 1st July.
- Reddy, K. & Yang, Z. (2014). Does Momentum Trading Opportunities Exit? Evidence from Chinese and Indian Stock Markets. Paper has been accepted for presentation at the 21st Annual Conference of the Multinational Finance Society (MFS) 2014, Prague, 29th June – 2nd July.
- Muhammad, N., Scrimgeour, F., Reddy, K. & Abidin, S. (2014). Corporate toxic substances release and financial performance in Australia: Short and long run causality analysis. Paper has been accepted for presentation at the 21st Annual Conference of the Multinational Finance Society (MFS) 2014, Prague, 29th June – 2nd July.
- Reddy, K. (2010), The relationship between corporate governance practices and financial performance in New Zealand: An empirical investigation, University of Waikato, 265pgs.